An enormous building designed combining the style of Art Deco with the grandeur of Ancient Roman spa architecture, including an extensive use of mosaics, bas-relief sculpture and ceramic decoration.
The decision to keep the train lines at a higher level than the surrounding streets produced the monumental staircases. Work on the station was interrupted during the First World War, recommencing in 1919, and reaching completion in 1925.
The Fascist regime that had meanwhile come to power found the design perfect for its grandiose approach to things, and in fact various motifs expressing the regime and depicting Mussolini were also added.
The station was opened in 1931, and has remained virtually unchanged since then. Some Fascist emblems were removed after 1945.