San Maurizio

    Built in 1503, on the ruins of a previous church annexed to a monastery of Benedictine cloistered nuns, the actual building is formed by a church with just one nave, some lateral chapels and a gallery, with a dividing wall that separates the section for the congregation from that for the nuns.

    It is known as “The Sistine Chapel of Milan” since it is entirely decorated with frescoes by Antonio Campi, Simone Peterzano, Bernardino Luini and his two sons Aurelio and Giovan Piero Luini, Callisto Piazza, Ottavio Semino, and Giovanni Boltraffio, all of them important Renaissance artists active in Milan and Lombardy.